rc-higher-hw-1Mathematics is important in everyday life, allowing us to make sense of the world around us and to manage our lives. Using mathematics enables us to model real-life situations and make connections and informed predictions. It equips us with the skills we need to interpret and analyse information, simplify and solve problems, assess risk and make informed decisions.
The Course aims to:
- motivate and challenge learners by enabling them to select and apply mathematical techniques in a variety of mathematical situations
- develop confidence in the subject and a positive attitude towards further study in mathematics and the use of mathematics in employment
- deliver in-depth study of mathematical concepts and the ways in which mathematics describes our world
- allow learners to interpret, communicate and manage information in mathematical form; skills which are vital to scientific and technological research and development
- deepen the learner’s skills in using mathematical language and exploring advanced mathematical ideas
These pages contain notes and examples for each block of work in the Higher course;
Record of Achievement for Higher Maths This document allows you to track yourself against all the Assessment Standards in the course.
The National Parent Forum of Scotland has produced a series of summary documents to outline the content of the new Highers; here is the Mathematics summary.
- NEW: Summer Revision Booklet (Solutions)
Higher pupils are expected to complete all sections of this booklet over the summer holidays.
Parts 1 and 2 should be used for revision and answers checked against the solutions linked above.
Parts 3 and 4 will be marked when we return in August.
SQA Past Papers
These past papers include short response questions in Paper 1, as you will find in the new Higher;
Higher 2001 – Paper 1 and 2 Solutions – Paper 1 Paper 2
Higher 2002 – Paper 1 and 2 Solutions – Paper 1 Paper 2
Higher 2003 – Paper 1 and 2 Answers – Paper 1 Paper 2
Higher 2004 – Paper 1 and 2 Solutions – Paper 1 Paper 2
Higher 2005 – Paper 1 Paper 2 Solutions – Paper 1 Paper 2
Higher 2006 – Paper 1 Paper 2 Marking Scheme Paper 1 Paper 2
Higher 2007 – Paper 1 Paper 2 Marking Scheme Paper 1 Paper 2